Sunday 4 November 2012

Reflections: Live, Love, Laugh...Dance!

My senior cohort of the Developing Artiste Programme (DAP) just graduated yesterday by putting up their show "Live, Love, Laugh...Dance!"and it was awe inspiring to say the least. I had the privilege of being a stage helper for them (as part of the programme attachment) and see them in action backstage. Not the best view to see a performance since the projection and blocking is usually directed outwards, but it's still awe-inspiring enough to make me want to push myself further.

It's something to think about - how the dancers have to juggle with stress about how to plan their performance, yet at the same time, during the tech runs, they actually enjoy themselves and goof around at appropriate times. If the positives outweigh the bad, then definitely the entire journey will be a rewarding one, as seen with the performance. But at the same time, I'm venturing out of my comfort zone and into something new - juggling 2 commitments at one go, and it can get lonely upon overanalysing it - no one else is studying at Nanyang Technological University and doing the DAP programme concurrently. It's scary, but I shouldn't let pessimistic thoughts take over my vision of wanting to be a great dancer and to teach dance too.

During the tech runs and performance, it also made me realise that working backstage is equally crucial for the success of a show. Those little hilarious moments that happened during rehearsals & showtime were a good example. If it hadn't been for a naggy crew on stage props, scoldings on looking really slack with the white screen, dragging your performers out from staring at themselves in the mirror too long, along with improvising what materials to use for wiping sweat (this part being the disgustingly funny one, LOL!), the show wouldn't have ran smoothly.

All in all, this should mean I should start setting goals for myself, in class, short term, and long term, in order to make the most out of this journey. DAPees 2012/13, let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment